Quinoa & Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt & fresh ground pepper
1/4 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup lettuce, chopped
1 egg (optional)
- Cook the quinoa: bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and lower temperature. Simmer on low, covered, for about 15 minutes, until tender. Add 1 clove chopped garlic and season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium heat; add the chopped onion and remaining garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beans, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa, until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the beans cook, wash and chop the lettuce and cilantro.
- Prepare plate by placing chopped lettuce on each plate, top with quinoa and black bean mixture. Sprinkle over chopped cilantro.
- Next, heat a nonstick skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Carefully crack egg in pan keeping the yellow yolk from breaking. Cook egg about 2 minutes, flip and cook another minute or until reaches desired consistency.
- Place egg over plated beans and quinoa. Sprinkle with more salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!